What Equipment Is Needed to Open A Vended Laundromat?
Class leading equipment is the foundation of a successful vended laundromat. But, with a plethora of options available, how does one decide? In this article, we guide investors through the maze, offering insights to help make a more informed decision.
COMMERCIAL VS INDUSTRIAL
Many dealers stock both commercial and industrial laundry equipment. So, what distinguishes the two, and which is the right choice for your business?
Designed Life – Commercial washers and dryers are engineered to endure 10,000 cycles. In contrast, industrial washers and dryers are built to withstand 30,000 cycles—that’s 8 cycles per day, every day, for 10 years.
Wash Quality – Commercial machines prioritize water efficiency and are often regulated by domestic standards. This makes them best suited for lightly soiled items due to their low water levels. On the other hand, industrial machines are fully programmable. This flexibility allows us to tailor the wash process to the specific application, ensuring optimal wash results. Users typically find that an industrial washer provides a superior, professional-quality wash, leaving them exceedingly satisfied with the experience.
Time – One primary reason customers frequent vend stores is time efficiency. Many customers are either time-poor or prefer spending their weekends with family and friends rather than doing laundry. Thus, the speed of the wash and dry cycles becomes crucial. Most aim to finish both washing and drying within an hour—a feat unattainable with domestic equipment. Commercial and industrial washers are swift, wrapping up cycles in 30 to 40 minutes. However, when it comes to drying, industrial dryers stand out. They often have triple the heat input of similarly sized commercial dryers. Paired with reversing drums, industrial dryers are more than twice as fast. They complete cycles in 20 to 30 minutes, compared to the 40 to 60 minutes taken by commercial dryers. For context, a domestic dryer might take over 2 hours for the same cycle.
There is a plethora of brands to consider, but it’s crucial to select a reputable, well-supported brand with local technical and parts assistance. Over the years, we’ve supplied numerous brands, but LG Commercial Laundry and Electrolux Professional have consistently stood the test of time. We’ve fostered close relationships with both suppliers through decades of collaboration. With a keen understanding of what makes a business thrive, we provide a curated selection of brands that consistently fulfil their promises.
- Soft Mount: Opting for a high-spin washer with 450G not only accelerates throughput in your store but also reduces energy consumption in dryers. This ensures your business is future-proof. Moreover, soft mount washers can be installed on suspended floors, expanding location options. In contrast, hard-mounted machines require ground-level installation with at least 200mm of concrete depth.
- LCD Display: A screen simplifies the cycle selection process, elevating the user experience.
- Liquid Dosing: With the current trend of stores transitioning entirely to liquid dosing, it’s essential that the chosen washer has integrated liquid dosing connections.
- Water-Operated Drain Valve: This feature not only minimises maintenance but also effectively reduces “dead-water” beneath the washer. Conventional drain pump washers require consistent filter cleaning, a tedious task for store owners. A washer equipped with a water-operated drain valve can conserve up to 450,000 litres over its 30,000-cycle lifespan.
- Power Balance: Washers equipped with accelerometers adeptly manage imbalances during extraction. This optimises extraction efficiency, shortens drying times, and improves overall cycle durations.
- Reversing Drum: Dryers with this feature can trim the drying process by up to 7 minutes. This is achieved by continually redistributing the load, preventing the tangling or “balling/knotting” of larger items.
- Axial Airflow: To maximise energy efficiency, consider a dryer with axial airflow. This design avoids the “skirting” issue commonly observed in radial airflow dryers.
Commercial appliances typically offer a capacity between 8 to 15 KG, whereas industrial models range from 6 to 110 KG. Many vend stores report increasing popularity in larger equipment, with customers frequently opting for washers in the 20 to 27 KG range. In vend settings, our 20 KG washer has emerged as a top choice, ideally complemented by our 24 KG stack dryer. As customers often accumulate laundry, they prefer consolidating their loads into one or two machines, streamlining the laundry process.
It’s also essential to factor in local demographics. Areas with a high concentration of singles, such as students, or young couples may have a higher demand for smaller equipment. In contrast, regions populated by larger families will gravitate towards bigger machinery. We provide complimentary demographic analyses to assist our customers in making informed decisions.